…Hong Kong...

Thursday the 29th of November I left work shortly after 15:00 and nipped home to pick up the bags and get the taxi to Heathrow. We had used Airmiles to upgrade to first class and it felt great from the start!

The Concord Lounge

We checked-in at the dedicated first class section of terminal 5 and after security went to the Concorde lounge for a nice 3 course meal and massage prior to boarding.

Take off

A quick glass of bubbly before take off.


Much like business class, the food was really good but they do lay a table for you with a white linen table cloth and salt and pepper cellars!

Kicking back

After dinner the stewardess handed out a set of PJs and prepared my bed with a proper duvet while I was changing. The flight to Hong Kong was about 10 hours but I have to say, a decent sized fully flat bed and a couple of glasses of champagne left me feeling pretty good by the end of the flight.

Island Shangri La

Friday 30th We landed in Hong Kong at about 17:00.

After checking into the Island Shangri-La, we walked through the shopping mall beneath the hotel.

We found a local restaurant on a side street a short walk from the hotel. The food was really good but really salty.

Dim Sum

Saturday 1st December We were hoping it would turn out to be a clearer day

Walked to city hall and had breakfast.

Walked around IFC mall and I had a weak moment and ended up buying something I'd been eyeing up for years!!! I also called in at Tai Pan Row and had six new shirts tailored.

Hong Kong Island

We took the Star Ferry to Kowloon.


Walked along the promenade.

Night market

We walked down Nathan Road and went to Temple Street Night market.

Kowloon at night

Kowloon at night

The Boat trip to Kowloon

The Boat trip from Kowloon back to Hong Kong Island.

Hong Kong Island

The view of Hong Kong Island from Kowloon.

The view from our hotel room

After returning to the hotel we went for dinner at Sushi Hiro in Causeway Bay. Taxis are cheap in HK!

Hong Kong escalator and walkway system

Sunday 2nd We took a taxi to the bottom of the escalator and found a cafe serving breakfast - a decent bowl of oats, toast and a coffee to start the day. We made our way up about half the escalator.

Hong Kong escalator and walkway system

Hong Kong escalator and walkway system

We took a taxi back to the hotel, checked out and transferred to the airport for our flight to Saigon. We took off at 12:40 and landed in Saigon at around 17:00

The return to Hong Kong

Saturday 15th December We landed back in Hong Kong shortly after lunchtime following our flight from Saigon.

Our room looked over Hong Kong Park.

Cafe Gray

Sunday 16th December We started our day with breakfast at Cafe Gray, a restaurant on the 49th floor of The Upper House, giving us great views over the bay.

Our hotel

Thankfully the weather was better so we decided to make the trip to the view point at the top of the hill overlooking Hong Kong.

The Peak Tram

The Peak

The Hong Kong skyline from The Peak.

The Peak

The Peak

The Peak

We walked along the path and had dinner at The Peak Lookout.

The Peak Tower

We were on a late night flight from Hong Kong back to London, leaving shortly before midnight. We landed early the following morning and after a quick shower at home we headed into the office. If only all flights could be first class!